Access hatches for roofs and ceilings
Roof access hatches provide safe and efficient access to roofs when carefully designed and integrated with a height safety system. Some of the key considerations are;
- Easy open ‘one hand’ mechanism for users on a ladder
- Single-handed locking system
- Sliding hatches are ergonomically easier to open and close than hinged hatches – even those assisted with struts. Wheels on the runners can be adjusted to suit variable roof pitches
- Locks easily incorporated into existing alarm systems and keying
- Robust and trafficable insulated zinc/aluminium coated steel outer lid
- Sliding hatches that won’t slam shut in the wind eliminate maintenance associated with gas struts
- Custom design for special needs
- Designed to ensure full compliance with Australian Standards, OHS legislation & State regulations.
Hatches should be are installed by registered plumbers to ensure they are watertight.
Match with hand grabs for safety
Hand grabs incorporated into guardrails around a hatch not only make it easier to move between the hatch and the roof but safer too – all while providing a barrier to prevent falls into the void of an open hatch.
A design certificate should be issued guaranteeing the system meets the requirements of the Code of Practice (Safe Design of Structures 2012).